Saturday 29 October 2005

Life on Mars

Mars is supposed to be quite close at the moment; the closest it's been for years and will for 13 years. I don't understand planets and space and crap like that, but I do like to have a look at these phenomena when they occur.

Of course, being in the UK my enjoyment of such events usually amounts to a big fat ZERO because of clouds and street lighting and stuff. Not knowing where to look (except "up") doesn't really help either.


Step back in time
Clocks go back tonight, thank fuck. If I was a proper single person, I'd be out clubbing till about 4am and the change back to GMT would give me another hour to enjoy myself. As it is, I'm just looking forward to an extra hour in bed.

Of course, I'll need my rest because tomorrow is the big day for my: maiden bike ride. It's going to be wet and windy (now, there's a surprise), but it should be fun.

As far as two-wheeled torture goes, it seems that having a bike is quite the in thing at the moment. When April mentioned dusting off her bike and taking out so she could piss people off, I kind of pictured her on a sedate Miss Marple type of thing. How wrong I was, she's got a fucking monster! Apparently, it's also very "in" to refer to your bike as a "hog". No idea on that one, pheraps somebody could explain.


Toxic soup
It's soup season. Well, when all you have for your lunch at work every-fucking-day is a minestrone cup-a-soup (Bachelors, mind you), it's always soup season, but it's now proper soup season. Got back from my abortive and hungover trip to the shops to find that Mum (awww bless her and her axe-wielding ways) had made a pan of soup - an excellent cure for the ill effects codeine metabolites. It was delish and not at all toxic, but it provides a good link to Funny Thing's blog, "Toxic Soup".

If you can forgive her for being Welsh, you'll find that this is actually quite a good, well-written and funny blog. I didn't think the Welsh could read or write, but there you go. She gets extra Brownie points for hating pink and girls with dolls.


Voice of an angel
Not an earth angel, another WELSH angel, of all things. Is Charlotte Church Welsh?

Charlotte is a young woman who found fame as a little girl, singing things that you'd hear in churches and the like. It was all very sickening and she was far too sweet. Anyway (I'm hearing heavenly choirs again), she's all growd up now and I quite like her: she smokes; goes to the shops in her slippers and I also think she has a fab voice for pop music. She's a touch naff, but she sings effortlessly.

Not like the fucking terrible Joss Stone, who is quite frankly, talentless and very boring. She's developed for herself one of those husky rock voices that she belts out. Joss dear? sometimes you can try a bit too hard, love. Give up.


New CD
And now for your amusement, the track listing of a new CD that I've just burnt for myself:
  1. In between days - The Cure
  2. Hung up - Madonna
  3. So good - Rachel Stevens
  4. Lola's theme (extended vocal) - Shapeshifters
  5. King of the mountain - Kate Bush
  6. Too funky (that's me!) - George Michael
  7. AKA Only time - Lemon Jelly
  8. Hallo spaceboy (Pet Shop Boys remix) - David Bowie
  9. Once in a lifetime - Talking Heads
  10. Crazy chick - Charlotte Church
  11. Lola's theme (radio edit) - Shapeshifters
  12. Superfly guy - S'Express
  13. True blue - Madonna (not sure how that got on there)
  14. Pump up the jam - D.O.N.S. feat Technotronic
  15. Freak like me - Sugababes
  16. Love on your side - Thompson Twins

Freaky mixed up shit, but it's OK for the car.

I'm off outside to look up.

No comments: