Tuesday 22 November 2005

They're torturing me

Here at work, I'm slowly losing the will to live.

I get to Base 2a after a couple of hours at Base 2b and I can't log on to my profile on the PC: my e-mails have finally appeared but I can't access any of my files. Added to this, one of the lights in my office is flickering - it's one of those fluorescent things that flashes to the point of inducing a migraine when the starter unit is playing up.

Over the top of this, Carmelita - a VERY enthusiastic member of the church choir - has obviously been to a practice last night and is today "pom, pom pomming" through the day, while arranging booking for the coach to the carol service at the cathedral. She's now going through the Margaret Rutherford Miss Marples and comparing her more comic style to the dramatic protrayal given by Joan Hickson. We're currently on "Murder at the Gallop", but did you know there was also a "Murder Ahoy!"? Well, you do now. And David Suchet really is excellent at Poirot.

In the half hour that I've been here, all the ladies have been weighed; "I was really good all last week up to the weekend and yesterday...". We've covered how our pensions are panning out (if we're approaching retirement age) and also mortgaging property to see us through retirement. A very important message has come through to tell us to put our used crockery and cutlery into the dishwasher and NOT to leave it in the sink or on the side. That'll be another laminated sign going up - they LOVE their laminated notices here, there are twenty covering the reception window and each toilet cubicle has a "Please flush the toilet after use" sign.

Oh, and the book man has brought our books.

Let us all rejoice.

La-la, lah lah, pom, pom pom pom POOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!

No comments: