Sunday 17 July 2005

Superfly guy, let me take you...

...to the bin

Summer is lovely. The UK has been having an unprecedented period of decent weather for most of July; it's been over 20°C most days, over about 25°C in fact.

Lovely.

However, just like all times of year, the summer has its downsides, they just seem to be more extreme. On the whole, the number of irritants is a lot higher in summer than in any other season. There's a wide range of summertime irritants; for a review see Summer madness, but the worst of the bunch has got to be: The housefly, or bluebottle as they're sometimes called.

These bastards get into your house as soon as you open a door or window, then they perpetually fly around, backwards and forwards as if high on booze AND speed, all fucking day. It's particularly annoying when they pretend that they're trying to find an exit and they bash themselves against the window for half an hour or so: bzzzztap, bzzzzzzzzTAPTAPTAP.

There's no point to them, they're filthy and they annoy the hell out of every other living creature on the planet. Here's Sonny in hot pursuit of one in my bedroom last night:

Pussy with a purpose: just look at that determined expression

Anyway, cats are pretty useless as flycatcher generals and they just tend to take the odd swipe at the buzz-bombs after pursuing them with their concentrated gaze. Cats also do that "ack, ack, ack" thing when watching their quarry; it must help the concentration. Or perhaps it's like some sort of yogic mantra that helps them reach the higher state of conciousness required for giving up on the chase and having a bowl of Felix instead.

So Sonny gave up on the fly when he heard activity in the kitchen (can't blame him really), leaving me to deal with the pestilent presence in my room. Having almost given up hope of getting the fucker, I seized my opportunity when the foolish insect landed between the folds of my curtains. BLAM! Gotcha. And I did, I got the bastard:

BLAM!

Unfortunately, the shot is a bit too bright to fully appreciate how the insides of this monster are spread across the tissue.

I liked this one too:

GOTCHA!

It was a bit spooky and upsetting when, despite having its innards forced out, the thing started moving, you can see that the front legs are in different positions in the two shots - this could've been something to do with the heat of the bedside lamp. But I actually felt sorry for it and gave it a final squish to make sure it was dead.

I bet Blogworld can't wait till I get my NEW camera that has a super macro mode with a 0cm focal length. That's right! I'll be able to take photos of things that are actually on the lens. I love Canon.

No comments: