Saturday 4 June 2005

Quality shopping

Quality shopping

Supermarkets are ace. Nnot only do they stock just about everything you could possibly need for modern-day living, they are also a rich source of blog fodder.

After leaving Sainsbury's (oo-la-la), I realised that I'd forgotten bread and milk so I dropped into the local Spar here. As I was at the till, I could hear the woman behind me repeatedly asking her toddler, "Do you want some crisp?"

Crisp.

Now, "crisps" is what American folk call "potato chips". I'm not being drawn in that argument right now, but let's just say that the British are definitely right on this one. "Chips" are thicker lumps (as in chip off the old block) of deep fried potato. Crisps are crispy thin shavings of deep fried potato.

Whatever. Whether it's crisps or potato chips, it's definitely not "some crisp" or a "packet of crisp".

I used to hear that a lot when I was a kid - schoolmates used to say it because they were fucking retarded pigshit thick tits. You don't expect it from a grown-up with a toddler.

And what was she doing feeding that shit to a little kid anyway? She's lucky I didn't phone social services.

No comments: