Thursday 2 June 2005

Everybody loves a good sing-song!

After an interesting discussion about that bizarre medium, the film musical, I thought it'd be good to gauge the opinions of my trusty cakesniffing fraternity/sorority. I feel this is necessary after the afore-mentioned discussion in which my gay friend told me that she couldn't stand musicals.

My main question is, can you be a fully-qualified librarian if you don't like the Sound of Music?


What is there not to like?

Irrrespective of a person's preference for cock, the Sound of Music has got everything a film lover could want. Who'd have thought that there'd ever be such a winning combination of nuns, Nazis, singing and mountains? But here we have it, the Sound of Music has got them all. What is there not to like? It's even got Saint Julie Andrews, for fuck's sake!

Nazis and nuns: a winning combination

Nazis are always good for a laugh

How do you solve a problem like Maria? A flibbertijibbet



A willo' the wisp A clown



Of course, another great film is The Wizard of Oz. I can't quite understand why this has a reputation for being a favourite amongst gay folk - LOOK! Warner Brothers say it's "family entertainment", not "Gay entertainment". I just think it's a truly amazing film.




A 100% not gay film

The way it starts off all sepia and old looking and truns to magical colour in Oz, it's fantastic. I remember seeing it for the first time as a child one Christmas and I was gobsmacked. If you consider the techonology that was available at the time it was made, it really is brilliant. I don't even think of it as a musical. That fucking witch and those horrible flying monkeys still scare the shit out of me today.


Get me those ruby slippers, you freaky monkey things


Whip crack-away!
My favourite musical of all time has to be Calamity Jane, I watched this film at every available opportunity when I was a kid. I love Doris Day and was brought up listening to her music (perhaps bitter and cynical cakesniffing bitches from hell shouldn't admit to this).


Whip crack-awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Calamity Jane is clearly a very gay film

I always wanted one of those Calamity Jane suits.

Keep reaching for that rainbow!

No comments: