Sunday 29 May 2005

Of course!

I was on a course at work Thursday and Friday of last week: "Train the trainer", it was actually very useful.

Of course (of course!), what I love about in-house training is the fact that you get to meet some right oddballs that work in the same organisation, but who you would never have dreamt existed. Amongst other people, I had great pleasure in meeting a "family therapist".

Now, those who have come to know a little bit about me from my contribution to this blog will know that somebody with the job title "family therapist" should be very careful about mixing with this particular cakesniffer.

Family therapist indeed.

I tried to get an understanding of exactly what family therapy is, it was like pulling teeth. "We treat the family as a whole, not as individuals."

"But what's wrong with them?"

"There's nothing wrong with them, they just don't function properly."

"How do you define that? If it was up to people like you, 90% of families would be undergoing "treatment". What do you mean by "not functioning properly"?"

"They have problems..."

Oh fuck...

"Why don't they just take the kids into care and sterilise the parents?"

I still haven't got a clue what family therapy is, but I've figured out that family therapists are probably a waste of time, doing a job that has no evidence base. They're very sensitive souls and I think the particular family therapist that I met might well be off work on the sick with stress after meeting me. "Some people are just pigs, they don't understand what we're trying to do." You're dead right we don't understand what the fuck it is you're trying to do because we can't get a fucking straight answer out of you, you daft twat!

Not like our Connie who works tirelessly in a respirator mask and boiler suit to keep aeroplanes in the air. Or Herge who does, errrm, publishes imaginative stories, gives truthful accounts of current affairs and massages dogs' hindquarters. Or even myself, who is an expert sniffer of bakery products.

Family therapist. Honestly, whatever will they think of next? Oh, I've found a website, this ought to be fun! http://www.aft.org.uk/

No comments: