Saturday 19 March 2005

Royal Doulton in chick pea and tomato horror!

Imagine what it'd be like if inanimate objects weren't inanimate, or were animated even. My toilet bowl wouldn't be very happy today, that's for sure! Having suffered a little tenderness in my guts for the past few weeks, I think the delicious chick pea and tomato soup that I had last night has pushed me over the edge. I think I'll book myself in for a colonoscopy; theres something not right somewhere. It could be something stuck from a pineapple yoghurt, or perhaps even a semi-decomposed cocktail sausage that's lingering from the Boxing Day running buffet. Or a tumour.

Meat is murder (but chicken isn't)
There's an interesting conference about animal welfare going on somewhere at the moment. A number of studies have been highlighted that demonstrate the intelligence, learning ability and "feelings" of farm animals. Did you know that sheep form close friendships? That' s nice to know when you already feel really guilty about not having enough willpower to go vegetarian. I suppose I could stick to chickens and fishes, but sheeps and moo-moos are nice to eat too. And pigsys? We should actually think of eating pig products as an honour - we should worship our porcine buddies for providing us with sausages and bacon.

Anyway, anyone who doubts that animals have feelings should swap places with me most Saturday mornings when Otto wakes me up whinging about his shit monster anxieties and his rumbly tummy. The cats form different relationships with each other: Maisie hates everybody and beats the boys up; Sonny likes of one the stray cats who lives outside, but LOATHES Otto (I'm often woken by Otto whimpering as Sonny is trying to rip his throat out); Max is a bit of a loaner, but he'll attack Otto for a laugh - especially if he can push Otto over into a puddle; Otto is a real sweetie who loves and wants to play with anybody. They all love me as their favourite "can-opener".

No comments: