Monday 28 February 2005

Think clean day!

Today's National Health Service is a mess, but I guess it was always doomed to failure, or more fairly, inadequacy.

Anyway, it's a mess, quite literally. And today across the entire NHS we were celeberating "Think clean day", which means that managers have to get under patient's bed and see if they've been cleaned, while nurses and doctors have to actually wash their hands after going to the toilet (believe me, there are a surprising number who don't). So today's purpose was another government waste of money/initiative to highlight the blindingly obvious about keeping things clean to prevent spreading infection.

My department took this to heart: an intermittent water supply that meant there was a game of Russian roulette whenever you went to the toilet (would it flush? could you wash your hands?) and the kettle had to be filled from the water cooler. It was very risky business passing a solid, and with my nervous disposition, I've been a nervous (and rather uncomfortable) wreck most of the day. Then the ladies' toilet flooded. Think clean indeed.

They'll be having us walk down to the canal with pots on our heads next. I blame Tony Blair of course; I've still not forgiven him for eating all my Tesco hot chilli peanuts (it must've been him, it's always him that steals from me - him and his mate Gordon "gasp like a goldfish" Brown).

No comments: