Saturday 12 February 2005

Ow!

My bloody eye is killing me. Contact lenses make the user so much more attractive. Yeah right, if red,weepy eyes turn you on, then contact lenses are great! And I defy anybody to say that they can see better through contacts over specs of the correct prescription.

Healthy it isn't, but I feel I must add one more comment about my lovely neighbours. In the photo (below) you'll notice that an item of clothing had been torn from the washing line in the strong wind and rain that's been battering us since yesterday. I've just noticed that it's been put back on the line! It beggars belief. Seriously, that washing has been out in the most horrible weather for about 3 days. Anyway, grumbling about shitheads isn't good for anybody; pouring petrol through their letterbox and setting it alight is!


Digital photography is something I discovered this time last year and it's brilliant; it's revolutionised the types of photographs people take. In the past, photography was generally reserved for taking pictures of occasions, people posed in settings out of their usual context, it tended to provide a kind of skewed imagary cross-section of people's lives. Of course, this was almost entirely due to the costs of consumables and processing, and also the time-delay between taking the photograph and seeing the result (which could turn out to be disappointing). Digital photography is instant, and without the additional consumables and processing costs, it gives the user scope to experiment and learn about photography without making expensive mistakes.


photo hosting and image hosting by ImageVenue.com

This is a photo of my nan that was taken when she was a child. I find it odd that a photo of such a "normal" thing as a child, playing in the street should be taken way back when not many people had cameras and things (sometime around 1910 I think).

What the devil is this prat going on about? Well, digital photography enables people to capture ordinary life: photos of family and friends being themselves; images of your normal environment that you take so much for granted that it would never normally warrant capturing in a photo. A whole life can be recorded in real images. Acquiring a digicam prompted me to go and explore things around me so I could take piccies of nice things; I discovered that I enjoyed going up hills, where you can see for miles (conditions permitting) so I could take photos.

So, if you've got a digicam, don't leave it stuck in a drawer, try taking some photos of the every day people and things in your life. Who knows, one day you might want to look back on life. If you haven't got a digicam, check out the Canon Powershot range, they were coming out top of the shop in all the reviews when I bought mine last year (a Canon Powershot A70). For digital camera reviews, visit Digital Camera Resource.

No comments: