Tuesday 13 December 2005

Sniffy Advent: Day the thirteenth

All I want for Christmas....
...Is YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, baaaaaybeeeee!!!

Mariah C

This is probably my saddest confession to date, but my favourite Christmas song of all time might just be scriking bitch Mariah Carey's All I want for Christmas is you. How bad is that?

Today's Sniffy Advent looks at that great money maker: The Christmas song.

Perhaps the definitive Christmas song is White Christmas, which I suppose is OK, if just a little mind numbingly boring. There's a strange point in the Advent period when Christmas songs suddenly switch from bringing about a response of "Oh, just fuck right off, you fucking shithead fucktards!" to "Dingalingalinga ding dong ding!".

This happened for me today.

Tonight was the Carols by candlelight service at Manchester Cathedral. Mother (awwww), Anna (grrrr) and a couple of her friends were going and I was giving them a lift into town and then having a pootle around. I thought it'd be nice to have some Christmas tunes on in the car, so I pulled a compilation together and stuck it onto a CD.

And these are the tunes that made it onto that CD. Some are shite and I've no idea why they're on there, but others are ace and they really make me feel very Christmassy.

  1. Let it snow - Dean Martin
  2. All I want for Christmas is yoooooooooooooou - Mariah Carey
  3. Santa baby - Marilyn Monroe
  4. Sleigh ride (dingalingalinga dinga ding dong ging!) - The Ronettes
  5. Fairytale of New York - Pogues with Kirsty MacColl
  6. In dulce jubilo - Mike Oldfield (shite)
  7. Santa Claus is coming to town - Jacksons
  8. Last Christmas - Wham!
  9. Rocking around the Christmas tree - Ronettes (I think)
  10. Jingle bell rock - no idea
  11. I believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake
  12. The power of love - Frankie goes to Hollywood
  13. Mary's boy child - Boney M (top fucking notchamundo!!)
  14. Winter wonderland - Jewel (eh?)
  15. I was born on Christmas Day - St Etienne
  16. Mistletoe and wine - Cliff Richard (YAY!!!!!)*
  17. Have yourself a merry little Christmas - Frank Sinatra
  18. Christmas wrapping - The Waitresses
  19. Merry (it's) Chrisssssssssssssssssssssstmas!!! - Slade
  20. Do they know it's Christmas? - Band Aid
There are loads that I've missed, and before anybody goes on at me, I HATE that "Merry Christmas, war is over", it is bollocks. I haven't included some more recent ones that are quite good.

*At the said carol service this evening, there was a Cliff Richard impersonator (yes, Cliff Richard impersonator .... in a place of worship) singing Mistletoe and Wine. Not a dry seat in the house (due to bouts of incontinence as the congregation pissed themselves laughing).

Oh yeah, and I do promise to do a proper post when I get chance.

No comments: