Friday 8 April 2005

Rome, if you want to

Buona sera, mi chiama Tina!

Fuck, if that's the extent of my Italian, I'd better do some brushing up pretty sharpish for when I visit the Eternal City in September. Yes, I'm off to Rome for my first holiday in about 7 years.

Of course, I'll be taking questions to pass on to the new Pope while I'm there, so get your thinking hats on. I'm sure he'll be pleased to hear from everyone. I might even go to St Peter's on the Sunday to see if I can get a blessing. Imagine that, me of all people!

Vorrei un scoiatolo, per favore. For some reason, whenever I try to speak Italian, the only word I can think of is scoiatolo, which means squirrel. Bugger only knows why. When I was a kid, I could say quite a few things, but it's all gone. Una bottiglia d'acqua minerale frizzante, per favore e un litro di vino rosso per mia sorella. Oh, anche una borsa di malato.

Still, give me 6 months and I might be able to get by. Even if I don't, I doubt I'll starve if I don't manage to eat anything in the four days that I'm there.

No comments: