Sunday 25 September 2005

Kosher for my kitty?

Pet food comes in all sorts of flavours and combinations of flavours. A selection box of Felix or Whiskas will have varieties such as beef, chicken, lamb, duck and heart, rabbit, tuna, plaice, etc.

Cat food never comes in pig flavour. I don't think dog food does either. In all the years I have shared my home with cats, I have never come across pork, bacon or ham flavoured cat food.

porker
Pork-quois?

I've no idea.

Is it the result of a feline taste-test over at Pedigree Masterfoods? Well, no. My cats eat pork and ham, they love it.

Is there a world-wide shortage of porkers? No, it's not as if pigs are rare - we're not talking about squid or lobster, it's pork. Surely rabbits are harder to stuff into a can of Felix than a bit of pork loin. Lamb is more expensive, as is beef.

I can only conclude something disturbing and this is that there are simply no bits of pig left after it's all been used for chops, sausages, pork pies, bacon, ham and the rest.

Either that, or it's something to do with religious sensitivity. But why? Some people are vegetarians yet they still feed their cats meaty things. Some people object to killing Thumper and friends, but they don't mind giving it to their cats. And surely if it was related to religious regions then all cans of cat and dog food would be declared Kosher or Halal and there'd be no shrimp flavoured varieties either.

Pet owners need an explanation NOW!

Get away from me with that club, April!

I wonder if you can get seal and grizzly bear varieties in Canada?

No comments: