Thursday 27 January 2005

Supermarket etiquette

I love Tesco! However, there are certain things about supermarkets that I cannot stand. I went to my local store this evening and the thing that always hits me there is the laziness of the customers: this is evident in the car park, with trollies strewn all over the place, taking up parking bays - all because people are such lazy bastards that they can't walk the 30 or so yard to the trolley park. Stupid twats. I think it's quite a well-to-do area (in comparison to where I live) and some of the customers must find that sort of thing beneath them. Either that or they're just inconsiderate and lazy. Second annoyance is changing stocks: you'll go there for ages, get used to a certain product and then you'll find it's been discontinued. I always find this with hair styling products and it really pisses me off - why do they do it? My family also became rather partial to Tesco's own brand chilli peanuts over Christmas and they too have been discontinued. There were a few confused and forlorn-looking punters scouring the salty snack aisle while I was there. A popular snack - gone! Yet there's a whole bloody aisle given over to Easter (25th March) and bastard Valentine's Day (14th February - I'm not bitter). I'm not just knocking Tesco for this premature assault of goods on its customers because all the supermarkets do it, but I wish they wouldn't. The year passes quickly enough as it is without bringing things forward months in advance. It won't be long before they start selling Christmas things again.



So I negotiated the shop (and they only had organic papardelle) and got to the till where the woman in front of me waited till she'd paid and my own goods were being scanned before she decided to think about packing her three items very slowly. I told the lad on the till to hang on a minute because our stuff was getting mixed up and she gave me such a glare. She was so slow and fucking retarded, but looked bright enough to know better, I could've killed her. All my stuff had been scanned by the time she picked up her bloody stuff and pissed off. I think she was one of these hippy types who refuses to be rushed by the pressures of the 21st century, but she was coming close to getting a slap - that'd have brought her into 2005! Stupid bitch. Then I got charged for three cans of borlotti beans and not two as I'd bought. Still, I should get them for free because of it.



I think I'm going to e-mail Tesco and tell them to start stocking their chilli peanuts again - they're DELISH!



Other stuff

What else has been happening in Tinaworld? Not much. It looks like the administration of my contract is finally getting shifted to my other base. It actually doesn't make any difference to my salary, but I get the right number of holidays and I trust this particular organisation to handle things much more fairly. My current host employer is basically shit and nobody in HR there seems to know their arse from their elbow - or they don't care.



Because of the impending shift of things, I made sure that I got six months' worth of travel expenses claim in today. Again, it doesn't make any real difference because it's money that's already essentially come out of my pocket, it's just nice to get an extra £300 in one month's salary. It also helps to clear the Christmas overdraft hangover. Helps to clear, unfortunately, it won't wipe it out.



Windows media player and the other similar PC media software packages are brilliant! It's great to have a load of music stored on your PC, play your stuff on shuffle play and use Media Player to play "beat the intro" against yourself. I'd like a hard drive portable jukebox thing to store all my music on, but they're a bit too expensive. I think I'd look at the iRiver models and avoid iPod like the plague. Then again, I wouldn't turn my nose up at one if I was given one as a pressie - I just don't think they're the best value for money and Apple always tend to concentrate too much on design and forget about functionality and reliability.



I basically hate anything to do with Apples and Macs after a torrid experience with a pink iMac that was forced on me. In an act of mercy, somebody kindly stole it from my office at work and I had better performance out of a crappy old PC than I ever achieved with the pink pest. Pile of crap, used by anally-retentive geek conspiracy-theorists who prefer style over substance. Saying that, the design of the things leaves a lot to be desired too. Everything about them is bobbins.



I think that will do for now. I want to get an early night because I'm shagged.



"Wham! Bam! I am, a man! Job or no job, you can't tell me that I'm not. Do you enjoy what you do? If not, just stop, just say no!" Wham rap is top notch. Eeeeh, takes me back. 22 years, can you believe it?

No comments: