Tuesday 18 January 2005

Blogging rocks!

I never thought that I'd be the type of person who'd say that something "rocked", but things are about to change! I've just received my copy of The mind gym, which is some sort of self-help, teach yourself how to be fantastic and popular book. We'll see. There are certainly things that I know I can improve on socially, but it's hard when you're ever so slightly autistic. I'm just incredibly shy and I don't have too much self confidence so I don't fair too well in certain situations, particularly those that require face-to-face interaction. I can't really be bothered with people.



Aside from being a social cripple (are you allowed to say "cripple" anymore???), I think I'm OK - people who are my friends seem to like me - I just like to keep myself to myself. Like I always say, clever people don't tend to have to talk about their intelligence because it just shows. And there's nothing clever about talking about yourself all the time, you just look a twat. I just wish I had the gall to come out and say that to certain people at work who are completely self absorbed to the point of me feeling embarrassed for them (admittedly not for long) whenever they open their mouths in public because they can't help but talk about themselves continuously. I tend to live my life through other people, mainly because I haven't really got much of a life of my own to talk about.



So yes, The mind gym! I'll be doing my workouts with great gusto. Or should that be guts? My Christmas tummy is still very much with me, but never mind. I will definitely be inflicting an hour or so of torture on this body of mine tonight. I think a target of mine for this year might be to get down to a size 12 on my arse by the summer. It's something to aim for at least. Then again, I think I'd be happier if I achieved something like being able to do a 5km Race for Life or something (that reminds me that I must look at the Race for Life diary for this year). Or perhaps even the Manchester 10km run.



Women's dress sizes

Now, this is a weird one. I used to be rather hefty and then I lost a lot of weight, starting about 5 years ago. I'd ballooned to about a size 28/30 (from Evans too) on my bum and I was about a size 26 in blouses. Now, Evans are very generous with their sizes too, so some might say that I was even bigger. I never weighed myself because it was too embarrassing (and I was past caring), but at an occie health checkup in '98, the words "seventeen and a half stone" were muttered. Cripes! Anyway, for one reason and another, I lost a lot of weight and I'm now about size 14 on my behind and a size 12ish on top. Not bad. So where was this leading me to? Yeah, stupid modern sizing for things. When will retailers stop using the S/M/L sizing guides? This means absolutely nothing, particularly when the sizes are so different - even between styles in the same shop. It's bad enough that a size 16 in one shop is a size 12 in another and a size 18 elsewhere. And then they throw metric things in to confuse the situation further! Or is it European? What exactly does "42" in a size 42 equate to? I suppose the best thing to do is to actually try the clothes on in the shop, but it's such a fart at times.



And then there's the eternal line from Prince's Kiss: "Act your age, not your shoe size". Well that's all well and good if you're American or British (I'm a size 5 or 4 using these systems), but what about if you're Italian? I'm a size 37. Act your age (34), not your shoe size (37) hardly has the interpretation then, does it? Stupid bloody Europeans. I can't believe we won the war and we're still in this position where we're being dictated to by them!



Better think about going to Fat Fighters. ... there, I've thought about it. No, I'm definitely going tonight. Although my shoulder is rather achy this evening. I walk with very round shoulders and, if I do so for long enough, they don't half hurt.

No comments: