Friday 7 January 2005

Friday

Well, I made it through the first week back after Christmas and now it's Friday teatime.



It's odd that I seem to spend all week waiting for this particular moment and when it arrives, I find myself wondering what I'll be doing with my weekend. I suppose it's just nice to have the time to myself to do with as I see fit and if this means a couple of lie-ins and dossing around the house, then that's fine with me.



------------------------



It's now nearly bedtime and I thought I'd add a bit to this rather than starting a new post. The subject will be:



The Asian tsunami disaster

Well, it's been nearly a fortnight since the earthquake that led to tsunamis that caused such mass destruction in Asia and it's still as shocking as when the true horrors began to unfold in the immediate aftermath of the events on Boxing Day. The reports and photographs of the affected areas can only convey a fraction of the total devastation that has hit the area and it's difficult to imagine what it's really like there. It looks like a huge nuclear bomb has gone off near Sumatra and it's wiped out everything in its path. Amazing. Some of the before and after satellite images are pretty shocking.



It's difficult to know what else to put about these events because this is something that people of this generation will always remember without having to write about it in some daft blog that might be forgotten about in a couple of months. It just seems fitting to make some sort of note about it. I think that, apart from obvious shock, horror and sympathy for those affected, some of my main thoughts are strangely positive. It's good to see how the (people in the) rest of world has rallied to raise funds to try to help the stricken areas and the suspension of debt repayments by the affected countries is only right. But the enormity of the destruction puts into perspective the weakness of any supposed terrorist threat that our governments are trying to make us increasingly paranoid about. If those affected by the tsunami can recover and rebuild, and as a part of that, other nations work together for the good of those people, then surely we can all withstand any piddling attack by a bunch of bully-boy nutters. In fact, any atrocity conducted by terrorists must surely pale into insignificance in comparison and we must remember that people will always bounce back because they can't kill us all.



That's about it for Friday - a bit of a serious one to end the week on, but it's better than going on about hairdos or periods.

I need to rest now; my body needs time to recover from my week of torture at work and my mind needs time to prepare for a visit to Fat Fighters - I'm afraid I succumbed to chips, chocolate and salty snacks today (well, there's a load still hanging around after Christmas!).





No comments: