Monday 8 November 2010

Anyway.... ;@)

So it came to pass that I became a homeowner on the 29th October.  It's all a bit weird since, apart from a letter from my solicitor telling me that the business was completed on 29th October (and a big hole in my current account), there's nothing here to say that it's ours (mine, but ours).

Nothing apart from a new toilet seat* and a pile of aspirational magazines that display wonderful homes that one can only ever, well, aspire to. But the homes in these magazines aren't real, not for people who can't even afford an average-priced house; they're beyond aspirational and drift into other-worldly.  After having discussions about wallpaper emblazoned with bold patterns, it was interesting to note that the homes featured in Homos in their Gardens, Period House, Cunty Living and the like, they don't have wallpaper, they're just plain with pictures and soft furnishings to add colour to a living space ("living space", for fuck's sake).  Nice houses don't have bold wallpaper and feature walls, oh no, this is the reserve of the Horror Houses that you see on Rightmove in the £95,000-£120,000 bracket. I have seen them ALL.

In addition to starting a new line in designer toilet seats, I'm going to start a monthly periodical (how can anybody not laugh at that?) that features real homes, decorated by normal people with decent taste, on a moderate budget.  The sorts of folk who get their kitchens and decorating materials from B&Q and their furniture and soft furnishings from M&S (or even the never knowingly undersold shop).  I'd also produce a monthly magazine digest of the worst homes currently showing on Rightmove.... like THIS horror in Glossop, or this bugger not far from here.

There is no problem with falling house prices, people are just trying to sell rubbish homes.

*One thing struck me on the day that I moved in to this place last year: the flimsiness of the toilet seat.  I know I don't have the most delicate of derrières, but even so, the original B&Q toilet seat on the B&Q cheapo toilet was beyond a joke and was the first thing to be replaced once we had hold of the keys (metaphorically speaking).  Needless to say, we shunned the opportunity of going for the £60 soft-close variety and went for a bog-standard, yet solid little number that will hopefully provide many hours and years of comfortable toilet visits.  I'm sure there's a market out there for designer toilet seat embellished with images from the Bristol Stool Form Scale.  I could make millions from it!


A special day
Friends and loved ones will gather on Wednesday to say their farewells and celebrate John McCusker.  A man who left himself somewhere else and became known and very much loved as cute wee John Pigster, or Piggy.  There will be tears, but there will be colour and hopefully lots of smiles once the tension and sadness of his funeral has passed.

His death was tragic, his life cut short so unexpectedly, he will be missed terribly, but he will live on eternally in the fond memories of those who came to love him.

The cunt.

2 comments:

Peevish McSnark said...

While you're remembering Mr. Pigster, I just wanted to say that I'll miss him, and I've never met him and live across an ocean from him, such was his impact.

And on a wholly unrelated note, I bought a new toilet seat about 4 years ago, but couldn't loosen the bolts on the old one to install the new one, and so asked the Big Strong Man to whom I've shackled myself for life if he could shift them. That toilet seat is *still* in the factory wrap waiting...

Sniffy said...

I miss him something rotten, but I have many fond moments of him.

I love my new toilet seat