Tuesday 23 February 2010

Working from home

I'm actually supposed to be doing a bit of work this evening, but I'm waiting for Office to install before I can get started.  Installing software takes forever and it's hard to draw an analogy to the painstaking task of, firstly, identifying what programmes you used to have that allowed smooth computer usage, then sourcing the installation files so you can get them back on your PC.

This bloody dog of mine drives me to distraction.

Anyway, after flattening my machine last night and reinstalling Windows, I'm now faced with reinstalling everything that got wiped.  It's the little things that you don't realise you're really going to need again that make a lot of difference.  Display driver?  What do I need one of those for?? Canon RAW codec?  Surely that's for losers!  Perhaps this sort of ordeal is similar to what it must be like when you come out of a coma and try to recover from a brain injury: some bits are missing, but you don't quite know which ones until you find yourself running down the high street with your nightie over your head.

Or is that Susan Boyle?

So yes, working from home!  I feel energised and enthusiastic... and scared in case I fuck this up.  With a major deadline approaching, this "draft" will have to be a "final", but hey, it's only worth £200k... and my job for the next six months.
Microsoft Office 2007 has been successfully installed

Great.

That means that I have to get cracking... and now my energy levels are plummeting with every keystroke.  Of course, this sort of thing is ideally suited to my personality type (ISTJ, if you must know).  A few years ago, I blogged about doing a Myers-Briggs survey to determine whether I had Asperger's syndrome, or whether I was one of the unfortunate ones to be normal, but to have a personality type that makes them appear to have a personality disorder.  For some reason, I was surprised to find that I still have the same personality type today as I did five years ago.  You can read up all the shite about the sixteen Myers-Briggs types, but this is me in a nutshell:

  • I deal in facts, figures and reality - don't ask me to imagine things, or believe in anything unless there is evidence for it

  • I am a doer (yeah, right), but more of a finisher than a starter

  • Don't expect me to write any strategies for anything, but I can implement whatever somebody else comes up with

  • I can't do anything without a plan and real objectives

  • DO NOT BE FUCKING LATE OR I WILL KILL YOU!


So that's about it.  The little dog has curled up in his bed, so I'll take this brief mither-free window to start what I was supposed to be doing.

And then you saw me... get distracted with something else.

No comments: