Wednesday 1 December 2010

The return of Consumer Champion Sniffy - again!

I bought a washing mashine in the middle of October 2009.  It wasn't the one I wanted, the one I wanted couldn't be sourced for weeks, so I was offered a Whirlpool one for the same price - brilliant! It's quite fancy, it has a big drum, lots of cycles, it's sleek, it's black, it's sexy .... it's broken.  Twelve months and three weeks after buying it (ok, thirteen months), the digital display died on me, so without being able to see what settings I'm using, doing my laundry has become a game of Russian Roulette (some might say they'd assumed this had been the case all my adult life).

Did I take out the extended warranty at £xx per year?  For a £500 washing machine?  Surely with an expected lifetime for a washing machine of 7 years, you'd expect it to last more than four years before anything went wrong on it?  So no, I didn't, the robbing fuckers.  Are they domestic appliance manufacturers or insurance agents?  Or just twats?

I e-mailed them last week:

Message: I purchased this washing machine in mid October 2009. I ran a load earlier, and when the cycle had finished, the digital display was showing in green, but the numbers were not showing properly. On further investigation, there is no temperature display at all, the time display is very distorted and the spin speed indicator is barely legible. While I realise that this machine is possibly a whopping 2 or so weeks out of warranty, after just a year of low to moderate use (I live on my own), I wouldn't expect a well-maintained, £450 appliance to start showing signs of malfunction after this period of time and nor would anybody else. This is clearly a fault with the machine and I would like it to be repaired, can this be arranged please? Many thanks. Sniffy.

Their response today: 

Dear Dr Sniffy,

Thank you for your email.

Whirlpool is the number one white goods manufacturer in Europe and our appliances are made to the highest standards. They enjoy a world-wide reputation for reliability and durability but of course any appliance that has functional parts or electronic components can fail at any given point resulting in repairs being required.

As a safeguard against unexpected and sometimes expensive repairs after the initial warranty period has expired Whirlpool offer both extended service and parts cover at prices that are competitive with other major manufacturers. These contracts are considered a wise investment by many of our customers.

Whilst I can sympathise with your disappointment that this repair is required unfortunately in the absence of any warranty this would be fully chargeable. I understand this may not be the response for which you had hoped but I apologise nevertheless for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Whirlpool UK, C.U.N.T.Y.

And my response to them: 

Dear Whirlpool Cuntstomer Service,

Thanks for your response.  Disappointngly, it was as expected, which is quite frankly disgraceful and an admission that Whirlpool doesn't expect its products to last for any decent length of time or care when they don't (in this case, three weeks out of its warranty period - THREE weeks).  Consequently, it effectively blackmails its consumers with overpriced insurance policies to cover for its products' shortcomings.

I can confirm that I will not be buying any Whirlpool products in the future and I will make strong recommendations to anybody I have contact with that they avoid Whirlpool like the plague. I will be starting with the shop I bought the machine from so they can inform their customers about the fault with these machines and Whirlpool's attitude when alerted to them.  In fact, the only reason I ended up with a Whirlpool was because there was a pan-European delay on the Hotpoint (how I wish I'd have waited). 

With all due respect,

Sniffy

So to all you people thinking of buying an appliance - don't bother with Whirlpool

And this is just the start.  I shall soon be waving the Sale of Goods Act at them, with reference to the section on durability.

Why can't these idiots realise how word of mouth from satisfied customers is their most effective way of advertising?

Contrast my sister, Bomb's experience with Bosch when her lawnmower blew up, way out of warranty.  They were so embarrassed that they were really apologetic and gave her a replacement free of charge.  That's the Germans for you.

And do you know that Bosch tumbledryers have a light inside the drum?  They do.  Fabulous.

3 comments:

graceless said...

and have they responded to that yet?

also, isn't there something in consumer law these days that says electricals should always come with a two year guarantee? or did i make that up in my head?

Sniffy said...

Nope, not yet, but I'm sure European regulations have some sort of durability expectation for appliance meaning they should be expected to last about 5 years.

I can't believe they'd want to lose thousands of pounds of potential custom for the sake of £100 repair. Fucking idiots.

Anonymous said...

I give birth to be familiar with a insufficient of the articles on your website trendy, and I really like your fashionableness of blogging. I added it to my favorites net age file and disposition be checking back soon. Cheer repress into public notice my position as highly and vindicate me conscious what you think. Thanks.