Wednesday 18 March 2009

But why???

I rarely listen to the radio: I have an intense dislike of the BBC stations presenters' narcissistic obsession with hearing their own voice at the expense of providing entertainment, or simply playing some music; the adverts on commercial radio are generally too frequent and too irritating. But I do listen to my local commercial radio station as I travel to work each morning; the presenters are actually funny and are almost in touch with their listeners, making references to local events, places, customs, etc. My tiredness at 7am generally means that I can block out the irritating segments and, more importantly, the adverts. Except two:

Lufthansa European flight deals
Woman: "Come on, stop doing that now, we've got to pack."
Child: "But why?"
Woman: "Because we're going away on a short break."
Child: "But why?"
Woman: "Because Lufthansa have got some good deals and we're leaving today."
Child: "But whyyyyyyyyy?"

After the first "But why?", I'm ready to unclip my seatbelt and drive into the nearest brick wall at full speed, so by the third, I really want to take a whole load of innocent bystanders with me too.

<strong?Volkswagen commercial vehicles
In this advert, we have a bloke with a rough voice and ridiculously strong Cockney accent, talking about Vowkswaaagen Commerciaw Vayns. He says "vayns" about ten times. I will punch him if I ever meet him.

SHUT THE FUCK UP!

There is something intensely irritating, to the point of driving me to the edge of murder, about the sound of children's voices, particularly when they're being deliberately irritating... or singing. Why do advertisers insist on using annoyance and regional accents in their adverts. Will I be tempted to use Lufthansa, or to buy a Volkswagen van because of these adverts? Hell no!

For fuck's sake.

Come dine with me
I am currently cooking some delectable cuts of meat in the oven. Yes, I am braising some lambs' hearts. Stuffed with breadcrumbs and fresh herbs for me? No, they're braised as they come with all their bits for the dog. I actually had good fun washing the things before I put them in the roasting tin. They being hearts, they have chambers and tubes and things; you can fill one chamber with water and it then squirts out of one of the large blood vessels. Brilliant. But holding that cold organ in my hand, and looking at my little dog, I'm led to thinking that his little heart is probably no bigger than the very one that was not long ago beating inside the bouncy body of a New Zealand lamb. Awwww. But that's life, and farming, and meat supply, and dog rehabilitation.

They actually look quite nice...

Braised lambs hearts - yummy!

... they're made the house smell a bit though.

During Rocky's remedial behavioural lessons, it's been discovered that the best way to bribe the little shit is with bits of cooked heart - the £3 bag of training treats just don't do the trick sometimes and we need to bring out the heavy artillery when needs be.

Anyway, it'll all be worth it when I can take him for a walk safe in the knowledge that he's not going to kick off at the slightest little thing, and when I can invite a groomer round to clip him without being worried that he'll attack somebody.


Spring has sprung
My mood has lightened somewhat over the past week or so. The days are getting longer, the weather warm, even the sun has been shining. Sniffy feels good.

3 comments:

garfer said...

Where in the name of bejaysus can you buy lamb hearts? Apparently we're all going to have to start eating the internal organs of beasts and fowl as the recession reaches its nadir.

Sweetbreads sound nice, but unfortunately they're pancreas. As for kidneys, they still retain a tang of urine.

Sniffy said...

I got them from Tesco. And, believe it not, Morrison's sold both lamb and pigs' hearts when I had a look today. There was a healthy offering of all sorts of offal. All very cheap and very good for you.

I do like kidney, but you're right about the element of bitterness that makes you think "toxic waste plant".

Carabou B. said...

"so by the third, I really want to take a whole load of innocent bystanders with me too"

ha ha ha - still laughing at that one!